NanoRacks is Hiring – Associate Operations Engineer/Commercial Payload Operator
Position: Associate Operations Engineer/Commercial Payload Operator
Reports to: Director of Engineering
Location: Webster, Texas (We’re right by Johnson Space Center!)
NanoRacks is an entrepreneurial aerospace company focusing on providing commercial access to space, currently on the International Space Station (ISS), Blue Origin’s New Shepard space vehicle, India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, and more! The company, which was once tagged as the “UPS of Space”, has sent over 750 payloads to the ISS, including the deployment of over 230 satellites from over 30 countries into Low Earth Orbit. Since 2009, NanoRacks has created and expanded new in-space markets and has been the world leader for ushering in a new era of in-space services. Currently, NanoRacks is working to build commercial space stations (“Outposts”) from the spent upper stages of launch vehicles in orbit.
NanoRacks prides itself on being the first commercial space station company with customers!
The ideal candidate will be responsible for supporting the ISS crew with the NanoRacks internal and external payload operations during real time operations. This position will closely interface with: NASA Marshall Space Center, NASA Johnson Space Center Program office and Crew office, NASA PSRP and NanoRacks Safety & Mission Assurance board members, NanoRacks Program Mission Managers, NanoRacks Project Managers, Engineering and JAXA Engineering and Flight Control Team members.
- Preparation for payload missions by performing hardware preparation and software integration testing to ensure functionality and interfaces with NanoRacks on-orbit facilities.
- Develop payload operations products (flight rules, crew procedures, etc.)
- Support ISS crew during the assembly or the operations of NanoRacks payloads in real-time on console.
Conduct on orbit payload operations.
- Develop operations products and philosophies, perform functional testing, and hardware preparation for NanoRacks Airlock, the first commercial ISS module.
- Be able to work during night shifts and/or weekend or holidays as required.
- Responsible for reporting status of payloads to management as well as cross reporting to team personnel on critical development and analysis tasks.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in an engineering or related field with directly related experience.
- Must be able to obtain related ISSP access to JSC.
- Database and IT tools.
- Certified NASA ISS Flight Controller in the FCR, MPSR, or Operator for the ISS Core system flight controller positions (OSO, ODIN, CATO, PHALCON, ECLSS, CATO, CRONUS, ETHOS, and SPARTAN…or the similar) is preferred.
- Ability to work independently with sustained focus on complex tasks as well as in the team work environment.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills and ability to coordinate complex technical projects in a dynamic program environment.
You love space, because we do too.
Competitive with industry standard
The successful candidate will be required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).
We hope you’ll apply to join our team. We do work with leaders from all over the world, including NASA, universities and government centers both foreign and domestic, and commercial companies. We’re fast, fun, passionate, and love sending things to space.
What we’re looking for:
Smart, talented, critical thinkers with an ability to handle responsibility in a dynamic and ever-changing landscape. You will own your projects and be results-oriented. NanoRacks is a small company (60 awesome people), but we interface with much larger organizations from around the world. You will need to be able to work in small and large groups as well as simultaneously execute an entire project on time.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org