NanoRacks is Hiring – External Payloads Mission Manager
Job Posting: Mission Manager, External Payloads (Satellites and Hosted Payloads)
Reports to: External Payloads Manager & Senior Mission Management Staff
Location: Washington, D.C. (14th & K St)
NanoRacks is an established aerospace company focusing on providing commercial access to space, currently on the International Space Station (ISS) and Blue Origin’s New Shepard space vehicle. The company, which was once tagged as the “UPS of Space”, has sent over 580 payloads to the ISS, including 186 satellites from over 20 countries. Since 2009, NanoRacks has created and expanded new in-space markets and has been the world leader for ushering in a new era of in-space services.
NanoRacks is looking for a Mission Manager who will be focused on the company’s growing satellite and hosted payload pipeline and customer base.
As Mission Manager, you’ll oversee the payload from contract signing to in-space operation (deployed into low Earth orbit or installed on a hosted payload platform outside of the ISS). The primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as the principle point of contact for external payload customer accounts from contract signing to in-space operation (small satellites and hosted payloads).
- Representing the payload on behalf of the customer to NASA, JAXA, Orbital-ATK, and other ISS Program Partners and Launch Vehicle providers.
- Relaying and verifying compliance of all technical and programmatic requirements levied by the ISS Program, launch vehicle, and other governing bodies.
- Verifying technical compliance to all NanoRacks hardware interface requirements.
- Supporting all internal engineering development as necessary, including hardware development, I&T, and configuration management.
- Maintaining and authoring Interface Requirements Documents (IRDs), test reports, and other related engineering verification or technical documents.
- Performing fit-checks, hardware testing, and satellite integration in the field.
- Developing and maintaining integrated project schedules for all payloads.
- Supporting business development projects or programs by completing feasibility assessments, drafting statements of work, assisting in contract formulation and milestone development, and any other business or systems related activities.
- Because we deal with ITAR controlled hardware, you must be a US citizen.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering, hard science (physics, materials science, chemistry), or mathematics from an accredited university.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience working with government and commercial aerospace customers.
- Familiarity with the aerospace industry, including launch vehicles and/or satellite development.
- Ability to understand and/or conduct technical analysis products (structural, thermal, orbital mechanics).
- Understanding of United States export technology laws and regulations.
- Experience in IT networking and software development (particularly working with Linux-based systems and protocols).
The Mission Manager must be willing to travel (about 30% of the time) to launch sites, customer sites, or NASA/government centers, both foreign and domestic, in support of engineering activities or customer relations work. Because you’re in the aerospace industry, this work may fall on weekends or holidays and therefore your schedule must be accordingly flexible.
Who We’re Looking For
Smart and talented critical thinkers with an ability to handle responsibility in a dynamic and ever-changing landscape. Often times the job of the Mission Manager will fall into all facets of what it takes to run a business and engineering company, so the line of your role will be ambiguous. You need to own your projects and be success oriented. NanoRacks is a small company (less than 50 awesome people) and our External Payloads team is even smaller, but we also interface with much larger organizations. Because of that, you need to be able to work in small groups and large teams, but also be self-sufficient enough to take charge of entire projects and produce the right products on time.
You love space, because we do too.
Competitive with industry standard.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Highlight your accomplishments, why you’d be a good fit, and any relevant experience. If you have software and IT networking experience, highlight that too.
We seriously hope you’ll apply to join our team. We do fascinating work with amazing people from all facets of the world, including DoD, universities and government centers both foreign and domestic, and commercial companies. We’re fast, fun, passionate, and love sending things to space.
Download the External Payloads Mission Manager PDF.