NanoRacks is Hiring – Mechanical Engineer
Position: Mechanical Engineer
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Location: Webster, TX
NanoRacks is an established aerospace company focusing on providing commercial access to space, currently on the International Space Station (ISS) and Blue Origin’s New Shepard space vehicle. The company, which was once tagged as the “UPS of Space”, has sent over 580 payloads to the ISS, including the deployment of 188 satellites from over 20 countries into Low Earth Orbit. Since 2009, NanoRacks has created and expanded new in-space markets and has been the world leader for ushering in a new era of in-space services.
NanoRacks is looking for a Mechanical Engineer who will be focused on supporting the engineering needs of the teams sending payloads to the International Space Station and beyond.
As a Mechanical Engineer at NanoRacks, you’ll be designing, fabricating, and testing commercial space hardware to be deployed into orbit or installed on International Space Station. The main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Design hardware needed to serve our commercial customers in manned and unmanned spaceflight applications.
- Oversee design, analysis, manufacturing, and test of mechanical components.
- Communicate directly with programs and personnel in mechanical, avionics, and programming/embedded software roles.
- Interact with external customers, suppliers and manufacturers, and governing agencies (NASA, DoD, SMDC, AFRL, etc.)
- Compile data for, review, and author technical documents, including analysis packages, requirements documents, ROAs, and comprehensive technical evaluations.
- Oversee design, analysis, manufacturing, and test of mechanical components for space applications.
Coordinate with internal Operations, Safety, and mission management teams.
- Bachelors or higher in Mechanical, Aerospace, or related Engineering field.
- Strong hardware development and CAD experience.
- Experience with hardware development from concept through operations.
- Familiarity with the aerospace industry, including launch vehicles and/or satellite development.
- Interpersonal skills to work with team members, customers, and vendors.
- Understanding of electrical, thermal, and structural concepts.
The Mechanical Engineer must be willing to travel (up to 5% of the time) to launch sites, customer sites, or NASA/government centers, both foreign and domestic, to support engineering activities. Because you’re in the aerospace industry, this work may fall on weekends or holidays and therefore your schedule must be accordingly flexible.
What We’re Looking For
Smart, talented, critical thinkers with an ability to handle responsibility in a dynamic and ever-changing landscape. Our engineers are a part of every project from beginning to end, and technical excellence and an attention to detail are required. Experience with CAD and hands-on hardware is a must. NanoRacks is a small company (less than 50 awesome people). You are self-sufficient enough to work directly with customers, vendors, and colleagues to produce the right products on time.
You love space, because we do too.
ITAR and US Citizen Requirement
Because we deal with ITAR controlled hardware, you must be a US citizen.
Competitive with industry standard.
How to Apply
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Highlight your accomplishments, why you’d be a good fit, and any relevant experience.
We hope you’ll apply to join our team. We do work with leaders from all over the world, including DoD, universities and government centers both foreign and domestic, and commercial companies. We’re fast, fun, passionate, and love sending things to space.
Download the Mechanical Engineer Job PDF.