NanoRacks is Hiring – Payload Systems & Verification Engineer
Position: Payload Systems & Verification Engineer
Reports to: External Payloads Manager & Senior Mission Management Staff
Location: Webster, TX
NanoRacks is an established aerospace company focusing on providing commercial access to space, currently on the International Space Station (ISS) and Blue Origin’s New Shepard space vehicle. The company, which was once tagged as the “UPS of Space”, has sent over 580 payloads to the ISS, including 186 satellites from over 20 countries. Since 2009, NanoRacks has created and expanded new in-space markets and has been the world leader for ushering in a new era of in-space services.
NanoRacks is looking for an experienced Payload Systems & Verification Engineer, who will be focused on certifying our growing queue of manifested payloads for launch. This position is immediately available!
As Systems & Verification Engineer, you’ll ensure the requirements are met for each and every payload we fly. The primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to: :
- Coordinating with SE&I, Robotics, and JAXA to establish the right requirements from the start.
- Creating Payload kick-off overviews for internal ISS operating payloads.
- Relaying all technical and programmatic requirements levied by the ISS Program, launch vehicle, and other governing bodies to the project teams.
- Review and approval of NanoRacks “record of Assembly” to ensure the requirements are being tested as intended.
- Weekly reporting for pre-launch open work.
- Ensuring compliance to ISS Program, Launch Vehicle and other regulatory agencies.
- Ensuring compliance of payloads to all NanoRacks hardware interface requirements.
- Maintaining and authoring Interface Requirements Documents (IRDs), test reports, and other related engineering verification or technical documents, as required.
- Maintaining and authoring Payload Product Integrated List (PPIL) forms and Version Description Documents (VDDs) to Payload Software Control Panel.
- Completing review/approval to all Station Increment ExPRESS Rack Interface Control Documents.
- Completing review/approval to all Station Increment PPIL documents.
- Providing inputs for all internal ISS NanoRacks command and data handling to Payload Integration Agreements.
- Completing review/inputs for HOSC Payload Ground System Status tables.
- Completing payload verification for any payload uploaded software or definition files.
- Supporting OZ Level Certificate of Flight Readiness (CoFR) reviews, as required.
- Some light analysis work may be required (structural, thermal, orbital mechanics).
- Because we deal with ITAR controlled hardware, you must be a US citizen.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering, business management, or science, from an accredited university.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Familiarization with VERITAS / ORBIT software
- Ability to secure a NASA/JSC Badge
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience working with government and commercial aerospace stakeholders.
- Familiarity with the aerospace industry, including launch vehicles and/or payload development.
- Ability to understand and/or generate technical analysis products (structural, thermal, orbital mechanics).
- Current NASA/JSC IT access.
- Expert knowledge of VERITAS, PIRN, and PITA tools highly desired. Familiarity with flight manifest databases a plus.
Who we’re looking for
This job is incredibly important for the success of all our payloads – without a certificate of flight readiness, we cannot declare mission success. Often this job will require peak hours close to launch, due to last minute experiment loading on to the vehicle. We require a systems engineer who is assertive in communicating the requirements early, with strong organizational skills be able to communicate needs to the NanoRacks program before they become critical. Candidates should have good communication/interpersonal skills in small team environment. Your ability to prioritize work across multiple projects is required for you to be successful!
Competitive with industry standard.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Highlight your accomplishments, why you’d be a good fit, and any relevant experience. If you have Veritas experience, or a current JSC Badge, let us know!
We seriously hope you’ll apply to join our team. We do fascinating work with amazing people from all facets of the world, including DoD, universities and government centers both foreign and domestic, and commercial companies. We’re fast, fun, passionate, and love sending things to space.
Download the Payload Systems & Verification Engineer Job PDF.