Nanoracks is Hiring – Project Manager
Position: Project Manager
Reports to:: Team Manager
Location: Webster, Texas (We’re right by Johnson Space Center!)
Nanoracks is an entrepreneurial aerospace company focusing on providing commercial access to space, currently on the International Space Station (ISS), suborbital vehicles, India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, and more! The company, which was once tagged as the “UPS of Space”, has sent nearly 1,000 payloads to the Space Station. Nanoracks kickstarted the CubeSat deployment revolution and has deployed over 250 to date.
Since 2009, Nanoracks has created and expanded new in-space markets and has been the world leader for ushering in a new era of in-space services. Currently, Nanoracks is working to build commercial space stations (“Outposts”) from the spent upper stages of launch vehicles in orbit. This technology will enable spent upper stages to be used as crewed and un-crewed space stations for various purposes and customers—both civil and commercial.
Nanoracks will provide and facilitate an ecosystem of interoperable technologies and distributed free flying space stations. The commercial approach to this effort is described in Nanoracks’ LEO Commercialization Study, available online here: http://nanoracks.com/nanoracks-leocom-study-release/.
Nanoracks prides itself on being the first commercial space station company with customers – customers that come from 30+ nations around the world.
We are looking for an experienced Project Manager to manage organizational key projects. The Project Manager will support various projects by coordinating Nanoracks internal teams to ensure payloads are delivered on-time and within scope. This person will be a leader in managing multiple interconnected projects related to Nanoracks’ goals of developing independent free flying commercial space stations. This person will be a task master, sometimes needing to achieving concurrence from those over which this person has no authority, to accomplish critical and time sensitive tasks necessary for meeting the group’s schedule.
- Derive and negotiate detailed goals for partners and suppliers to fulfil based on high level programmatic objectives and constraints
- Track, motivate, and characterize fulfilment of established goals by team members
- Initiate and lead regular and impromptu discussions with stakeholders in the formative and execution phase of projects
- Instill confidence and cohesion, even as program plans change
- Develop detailed project plans using Microsoft Project to track progress
- Coordinate internal resources to help facilitate availability and allocation
- Cooperate closely with systems engineers and other engineering counterparts and teammates to drive project progress
- Support proposal generation, including authoring verbiage related to the future work which project management will organize
- Brokers information and coordinates between information providers and information users
- Use appropriate techniques to manage changes in project scope and schedule
- Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques
- Report and escalate information to management, as needed
- Work independently with little direct supervision to support tight milestone schedules
- Periodic travel to conduct and support meetings, production activities, and ground operations activities
- Picks up the phone and calls when an email is insufficient to garner a timely response
- Walks over and sees someone in person when a phone call is insufficient to garner a timely response
- Organizes, invites, conducts, and documents meetings from impromptu problem-solving sessions to formal reviews and everything in between
- Bachelor of Science degree in fields of business or engineering
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including empathy, emotional intelligence, and communication
- Ability and proficiency to coordinate and communicate across inter-organizational and intra-organizational boundaries
- Ability and proficiency to coordinate and communicate across functions such as contracting, resource identification and assignment, engineering, and business development, safety, etc.
- Proven working knowledge of project management principles
- Has an appreciation and respect for stakeholder requirements, preferences, customs, and directives
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Project
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking
- Enjoy a challenge
- A passion for developing space travel technology and capabilities
- You must be a US citizen
- You must have the ability to attain a government security clearance
Non-required (but desired) skills:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Previous experience working with International Space Station Program
- Previous experience working in a technical domain
- Active Top Secret / SCI level security clearance
Competitive with industry standard.
What we’re looking for:
Smart, talented, critical thinkers with an ability to handle responsibility in a dynamic and ever-changing landscape. You will own your projects and be results oriented. Nanoracks is a small company (60+ awesome people), but we interface with leaders from all over the world, including NASA, universities and government centers both foreign and domestic, and commercial companies. You will need to be able to work in small and large groups as well as simultaneously execute an entire project on time.
We’re fast, fun, passionate, and love sending things to space.